Double Eagle Development (together with its affiliates and subsidiaries, “Double Eagle”) is a land-centered E&P company that invests in oil and gas production across the United States. Double Eagle acquires oil and gas leases, working interest, mineral rights and royalty interests. Double Eagle currently has active operations in eight states: Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Louisiana, Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming. The company is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas, and also has offices in Midland, Texas, and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Cody Campbell and John Sellers formed Double Eagle to pursue strategic acquisition opportunities in domestic oil and gas resource plays. The company has grown to become one of the largest acquirers of oil and gas leases in North America and has found tremendous success in multiple basins. Double Eagle leverages its core competencies in land in order to form partnerships with world-class operators. Through these partnerships, Double Eagle drills hundreds of oil and gas wells every year.
In April 2013, Sellers and Campbell formed a partnership with an affiliate of a New York-based private equity firm, Apollo Global Management (www.agm.com). The financial backing with this relationship allows Double Eagle to further expand its footprint and pursue larger and more extensive development projects.
A Proven Partner in The
At Double Eagle we create value by identifying attractive assets and investing alongside world-class operators
Areas of Interest
- Powder River Basin
- DJ Basin
- Permian Basin
- Eagle Ford
Cody C. Campbell
Co-founder and Co-CEO
Cody is a co-founder of Double Eagle Development and co-chief executive officer of Double Eagle Energy Holdings II, a partnership formed with Apollo Global Management in 2014.
Campbell began his business career as a student at Texas Tech University, where he and John Sellers founded a successful commercial real estate development firm. He graduated with honors with a bachelor’s in finance and economics and a master’s in finance. After graduation, he played offensive guard for the Indianapolis Colts.
Campbell is a member of YPO (Young Presidents’ Organization) and serves on the Advisory Council for the Rawls College of Business at Texas Tech. He lives in Fort Worth with his wife and three children.
John A. Sellers
Co-founder and Co-CEO
John is a co-founder of Double Eagle Development and co-chief executive officer of Double Eagle Energy Holdings II.
While majoring in economics at Texas Tech University, Sellers teamed up with Campbell to form a successful real estate development firm that was responsible for numerous residential and commercial projects in Texas and Kansas. In addition to his real estate and oil and gas pursuits, Sellers has been involved in a fourth-generation, family-owned cattle business.
Sellers lives in Fort Worth with his wife and three children.
Blake A. Carpenter
Chief Operating Officer
Blake is chief financial officer of Double Eagle Development, joining the company soon after its inception. He also serves as chief operating officer of Double Eagle Energy Holdings II.
Carpenter holds a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree from the Rawls College of Business at Texas Tech University. Prior to joining the team at Double Eagle, he worked for the real estate development company founded by Campbell and Sellers.
Carpenter lives in Fort Worth with his wife and three children.
Joshua A. Gregg
Chief Financial Officer
Joshua is chief financial officer of Double Eagle Energy Holdings II. Before joining Double Eagle, Gregg was a principal at Apollo Global Management. At Apollo, he focused on direct investments in the oil and gas space including the $7.5 billion carve-out of El Paso Corp’s global E&P assets to form EP Energy, and the $2 billion carve-out of Encana Corp’s Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin assets to form Jupiter Resources based in Calgary, Alberta.
Previously, Gregg was a member of the mergers and acquisitions group at Nomura in Sydney, Australia. He began his career as a member of the leveraged finance group at Lehman Brothers in New York. Gregg graduated from Dartmouth College with a bachelor’s in earth science and received his MBA from the Harvard Business School.
- November 14, 2016 – Double Eagle Announces Strategic Partnership
- October 3, 2016 – Funds Affiliated with Apollo Global Management and Post Oak Energy Capital Announce Merger of Double Eagle and Veritas Energy, Forming Premier Midland Basin E&P Operator
- October 8, 2015 – Double Eagle’s Cody Campbell and John Sellers honored as Rising Stars in 30 Under 40
- November 19, 2014 – Apollo Natural Resources Partners and Double Eagle Energy Announce Formation of Double Eagle Energy II – Partnership Focused on Oklahoma, Permian, Eagle Ford and Rockies Opportunities
- November 12, 2014 – Double Eagle Energy Announces the Sale of the Companies SCOOP and Ardmore Assets to American Energy – NonOp LLC
- January 28, 2014 – Apollo Global Management and Double Eagle Energy Announce Strategic Partnership to Invest in Oil and Gas Assets – Partnership Expanded to Include Permian, Eagle Ford and Rockies Opportunities
- April 24, 2013 – Apollo Global Management and Double Eagle Energy Announce Strategic Partnership to Invest in Oil and Gas Assets – Partnership Focused on Anadarko and Ardmore Basin Opportunities
General Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org